Followers

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm writing a Novel ... say what?

When writing a novel ... do you have to start with the first word of the book as the first word you write with?

Because ... I got nothing.

Yeah, in a crazy moment I signed up for NaNoWriMo.

Don't know what that is?  I didn't either, lol.  I mean I read about what it was, sure, but I did not really grasp the concept until I sat down to write.

and nothing came out

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and the point of this is to write a novel in one month; a novel consisting of 500,000 words.

Uh huh ... I said 500,000

Like a said ... I signed up during a crazy moment.

because I have nothing else to do in November ... like my daughter's first birthday; two Thanksgivings and the Iron Bowl.

but ... I signed up

So gosh darn-it ... I'm gonna do it.

Yeah ... I haven't written a word yet

Yeah ... I know its hard to finish when you don't keep up with the daily totals

but, I have the entire house to myself this weekend ... hubby and the kids are out Friday - Monday.

plenty of writting time, right?

If only I could come up with a first sentence ... maybe I'll be ironic and make that my last sentence?

well, it's not like I have an ending planned out or anything.

but, I do have a passage I wrote about 6 months ago that I'm basing my novel on.

I look back over my shoulder, squinting into the late afternoon sun, gawking with stunned alarm at the broad rolling muddy waters of the Mississippi“Why are we moving?” I think to myself.  

Gazing around I take in the surroundings of the boat, the same party boat my friends and I were on last night.  We were out celebrating my 21
st birthday, and celebrate we did; although the plan had been to wake up in my bed, not on this moving boat.  

I reach up and rub my throbbing temples.  “How much did I drink last night,” I wonder out loud. 


It is then I notice the owner of the boat grinning at me.  I forget about the throbbing temples as my heart begins to race in fear.


oh, and if you're doing NaNoWriMo too; my name is colour_mom.  Be my friend and bug me to write!!!!

3 comments:

  1. good for you!! I'm excited for you

    It has been a dream of mine, since I was about 6, to write and publish my own book.

    I've started many, completed none. I hope you do better than I have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to volunteer to be the proof-reader :) Not because I think you need one, but because I totally want to read it first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you have to start at the beginning. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

comments make the world go round, kind words make the sun shine, and nice thoughts make the rain fall ... what? the flowers have to grow somehow ...